What are other factors that affect weight Gain?
How many of you have tried a “detox”, “Cleanse” or a “reset”?
How many of you gained weight during that time?
I did. Every February for a decade, I did a 4 week detox and reset. I focused on getting 15 servings of vegetables, 3 servings of fruit, and 3 6ounce servings of Protein a day. I skipped the caffeine, cut out sugar and had NO PROCESSED FOODS. The last two years that I did that cleanse I gained 12-14 pounds of fat in 28 days.
How do I know it was fat?
None of my pants fit. which meant it was abdominal weight gain. That weight gain is ALWAYS fat around the organs. It is also the most dangerous type of fat. Because it causes metabolic disorders like: Heart Disease, PCOS, Diabetes, Infertility, Menopause, Kidney dysfunction, Fatty Liver syndrome, etc.
So Why did it happen?
If you remember from last summer, I wrote a blog about Lemon water and detoxification. That Blog is important because it contains information about why we gain weight.
“The solution to pollution is dilution”
Your body only knows one way to “dilute” toxins. Toxins come from all over the place. The air, the food that we eat, The Body products we loose, The STRESS we don’t manage. IF your body can not get rid of the toxins, it will store it. The place it stores best, because it is the most binding area, is FAT CELLS. If your toxic load is too high, you will store in the fat cells.
If you are unsure what Toxic load is, Please read this blog
What other things make you hold onto your fat, instead of burning it?
NOT Pooping 3 times a day
- Failure to defecate a few times a day causes the toxins to be re-absorbed into the blood stream.
- If your hormones are out of balance, particularly if you are estrogen dominant, No Nutrition Plan will work. IT is important to get hormone testing done each year after the age of 30, First Pregnancy, or infertility issues. So what hormones?
- Estrone (E1)
- Estrodial (E2)
- Estriol (E3)
- Testosterone Total and Free
- T3 Free and Total, reverse
- T4 Free and Total
- TG Antibodies
- TPO antibodies
Vitamin D Insufficiency.
- In 2011-2012, it was estimated that 82% of the poulation had vitamin-d deficiency. Why so prevalent? Insurance companies don’t cover the testing, but it should be done yearly starting at age 20 according to this study
- Vitamin D deficiency was labeled as having 25(OH)D3 less than 50nmol/L.
- In Functional medicine, we would like to see this number closer to 70nmol/L;
- but most physicians say that 33nmol/L is adequate because it falls in “normal range”.
- VitD is the number one vitamin used to repair ALL tissues and is the Backbone for every hormone produced in the body, including thyroid.
Thyroid dysfunction that is Misdiagnosed.
- Most physicians don’t order a TPO antibody test. This test can indicate AUTOIMMUNE thyroid, which requires a different medication than Synthroid
- Many people on Thyroid meds still suffer from poor sleep, foggy brain/memory, thinning hair and eye brows.
- Thyroid isn’t tested regularly, even with a family history, until age 32. If you have family history, start asking for it to be tested annually at age 20 or if you have irregular or heavy menstruation; Difficulty loosing weight, fatigue that seems excessive.
- Don’t settle for Normal ranges. The Clinical Range is too wide. The optimal range is much narrower:
- TSH 0.5-2.0 uIU/L (clinical 0.2-5.5)
- Free T4 15-23 pmol/L (clinical 9-23)
- Free T3 5-7 pmol/L (Clinical 3-7)
- Reverse T3 11-13 ng/L (clinical 11-21)
- TPO antibodies <20 IU/L (clinical <35)
- TG Antibodies <2 IU (clinical <35 IU)
- Your genetics can cause obesity for a variety of reasons. In this blog I cover some of the reasons. What is the most important thing to know? Only 5% of the world actually has a FAT gene. But, other genetic factors can lend to increased weight/mass on the body.
- Oxidative stress: In the world outside our bodies that looks like rust. On us it looks like dry, dull skin, wrinkles, inflammation and weight gain
- Inability to Methylate: your body uses B vitamins to produce and recycle some hormones so that your body has less stress. It also uses B vitamins as a methyl donor for Glutathione. This is the most important antioxidant that you can use in the body for tissue repair.
- Poor Detoxification Methods: Sometimes we are genetically set up to fail in Detoxification through the liver. This organ does 87% of detox in the body, so it’s important to support these pathways.
- Poor Lipid metabolism: some of us are predisposed to have the ability to burn fat and eliminate cholesterol. The only way to manage this is with a LOW FAT diet and exercise. These people DON’T respond to cholesterol medications.
Parasites, Mold, Heavy Metals
- When most of us do a cleanse, we focus only on foods, but we forget things like metal fillings in our mouth. We forget that Parasites can come from ANYWHERE and can pass undetected until they cause a health crisis. Mold creates so much dysfunction in the body that it can not work on healing, it can only focus on fighting.
- It takes a different type of cleanse to get rid of these types of infections
- Lyme disease can be included here
- epstein-barr can be cleared through this type of cleanse.
If you have more questions about doing an in-depth cleanse, Let’s Talk. Set up a Discovery Visit Here.