Other than a vaccine, How do I change my Immune system?
Poor Sleep can affect the immune system.
Research shows that Adults who are not sleeping well or not sleeping 7-8 hours a night are more likely to get sick after being exposed to a virus. This happens because the cytokines produced to defeat these viruses are low if lack of sleep or poor quality sleep occur. The research also shows that kids age 3-20 need closer to 10 hours of sleep per night for the same protective effect.
How do I train myself to sleep better? Or My Kids?
This is always a hot topic. Sleep deprivation is as dangerous if not more dangerous than driving under the influence. So how do we change your outcomes?
- Start by setting an alarm on when it is time to go to bed. Regardless of what you are doing, stop, finish in less than 5 minutes and go to your bedroom to get ready and get into bed.
- Stop using electronics, including a kindle or iPad to read, after 7pm. Studies show that the stimulation from the blue light on devices like computers, television, tablets, and cell phones disrupt the normal cycle of melatonin production. This disrupts the brain’s ability to shut down and calm. That lack of calm can cause difficulty sleeping.
- Get up at the same time EVERYDAY. Yes, even on the weekend. This is important because you’re teaching your body a cycle. When you get up, try not to hit snooze. Around time changes, the week leading in, start adjusting your alarm setting by 10 minutes daily so that you can adjust your body to the new time.
- Stop all caffeine: tea, coffee, chocolate, stimulants in supplements; by 12 noon, or 9 hours before bed time.
- Drink more water. One of the major causes of poor sleep at altitude is dehydration. Drinking more water can help your body rest more fully because it has enough solution to dilute the toxins it is processing and producing while you sleep. If you have a weak bladder and find yourself needing to wake up to go to the bathroom, stop drinking sooner in the day. As people are drinking more water, I ask them to do it gradually. So take what you have now and add 8oz to the day every day for a week. Then next week add 8 oz more. Do this Every week until you are drinking enough water (80oz/day).
- Exercise. This helps expend some of the energy you have and can help your body rest more fully.
Did you know that there are more heart attacks, strokes and Motor vehicle accidents in the 2 weeks after the time change in the fall AND spring? Sleep Rules!
Supplements: What you need to know for immune health.
A lot of people have no faith in supplements. The reason is the difference in the information about supplements. Some say they do nothing, some say they are necessary. Here is what you need to know about supplements: They are not all created equal, but they are mostly all created in the same spot and sent for labeling. Test your supplements. If it can not dissolve in 4 oz of white vinegar in 4 hours, your body can not get out what it needs from the supplement. Find the parent company. If they are a traditional Pharmaceutical company, the supplement is likely more valid. For instance: Whos is the parent company of Flinstones Vitamins?
Wish supplements help for boosting my health in relation to the immune system?
Vitamin C, D3 and B6 are considered the classic trio needed to boost immune system health.
- B vitamins help the nervous system, creates red blood cells and helps metabolize carbohydrates and fats.
- C is an antioxidant and fights for the body.
- D Helps absorb calcium, phosphorus, and is the backbone to MOST hormones produced by the body.
While controversial, Probiotics are needed to help restore the gut. The gut is the primary place your immune system acts. Immune system is 80% in the GI system. Like other supplements, Probiotics have become a popular place to deceive. Make sure you by doctor formulated probiotics that require refrigeration.
Consider Pre-Biotics and digestive enzymes. They help break down the food and get enzymes present that you need to break things down before you get it into the gut.
This is a mineral that you need in the body to help with many processes. IT helps fight invading bacteria and viruses. Dosage is 8g for women, 11 for men daily. The problem is, you can start to taste everything as metal. This means you need to back off the dose and then start taking a binding agent like psyllium husk powder so that you don’t overdose on metals.
Cold and flu season kicks up in winter months, but they are there year round. One thing that happens in the warmer months is that the opportunity for fresh fruits and vegetables is more readily available at more favorable prices. Green leafy vegetables are a daily need. You should strive to achieve 10 servings a day and 5 servings of fruits. A serving is ½ cup.
Lower your sugar intake.
Many use the holidays, starting at halloween, as an excuse to eat whatever they want. Then, wonder why they get sick. The increase in sugar causes bad bacteria, like candida, to grow and overtake good bacteria in the gut. You can fight candida by taking a supplement called sacchromyces boulardi, but what if you just ate reasonably? I am not saying give up your one piece of pumpkin pie or the cranberry sauce. But do you need all the cookies, candy, half the pumpkin pie, etc?
Make sure to checkout this link for great supplements